MOVIE: The September Issue (2009)

I read about this documentary about a year ago when searching about documentary films to watch. Finally last week, I had the chance watching this documentary by R.J. Cutler. This is the story of Anna Wintour, editor-in-chief of Vogue, and the production of the Vogue Magazine September 2007Issue. Anna Wintour is famous in the fashion world and the model of Meryl Streep's character in "The Devil Wears Prada", released in 2006.


The title of the films comes from the most important month in the fashion industry. As one of the people in the film said, "September is the January in Fashion". It is the time of the year were new trends and designs are introduced for the coming fashion season.

I had a great time watching the movie. I didn't watch the movie to see high fashion but to see how a magazine  issue was made. It's great to watch how people converge to create a single issue of a magazine. I like to see how things are created from behind the scene. The process that has been done to make an idea a really. The collaboration and conflict that the people go through to achieve one singular goal.

Although the movie is about Anna Wintour's leadership of Vogue, the revelation for me was Grace Coddington, the creative director of Vogue. She shows masterful ability and passion for her job. She's a good inspiration of aspirating artists. As an aspiring photographer, I also learned a lot from this movie.

I highly recommend this movie even for non-fashion enthusiasts.

Comments

Popular Posts